The Internal Comms Podcast
Episode 01 - How to thrive in IC
In the first episode of The Internal Comms Podcast, Katie meets Rachel Miller – a prolific blogger, educator, keynote speaker and one of the most respected voices in internal communications.
Rachel has contributed to a shelf’s worth of best-selling books, runs bespoke – and hugely popular – masterclasses and is a fellow of both the Institute of Internal Communication and Chartered Institute of Public Relations.
Katie and Rachel discuss the importance of authenticity in IC, taking a ‘rounded approach to content’, the line between internal and external comms, applying your personal values to your business model, and much more.
- Rachel’s dream job: from Blue Peter presenter to journalist to internal communications professional [4.40]
- ‘If you can do the first 90 days, you can do the next 90 days.’ Taking the leap from in-house to going freelance and setting up an IC consultancy [9:35]
- Analysing your business model, personal values and having time ‘to think, to dream, to plan’ [13:01]
- Championing authenticity and integrity, trusting what your saying, and being mindful of how you write [16:20]
- Practical steps to building confidence and resilience – and the importance of the ‘trusted advisor’ [20:20]
- Trends and themes for IC for 2019 and beyond [26:15]
- ‘What happens inside is reflected outside.’ What good looks like when blurring the line between internal and external [30:02]
- ‘Mummy Fridays’ and achieving the right work-life balance [36:10]
- ‘It’s alright to say I’m having counselling. It’s alright to say I’m having issues with mental health’ [41:30]
- Five quick-fire questions [44:05]
- An exclusive: Rachel’s discusses her new online masterclasses, coming this year [48:30]
Links from this episode
- Find Rachel on twitter twitter.com/allthingsic
- Read Rachel’s blog allthingsic.com/blog/
- And find out more about Rachel’s celebrated masterclasses allthingsic.com/masterclasses/
- The Big Yak ‘unconferences’ – the next one takes place in June thebigyak.co.uk/
- Daniel Penton, who’s working with innovations in voice technology abcomm.co.uk/people/daniel-penton/
- Visit the Engage for Success website engageforsuccess.org/
- The Ten Words podcast, jeremy.live/2018/03/22/ten-words-podcast/
Episode 01 - A check-up with the IC doctor
September 11, 2019
A check-up with the IC doctor, Kevin Ruck - Season 2, ep1 - The Internal Comms Podcast.
Season 02 Trailer
September 6, 2019
Season two of The Internal Comms Podcast is almost here!
Episode 12 – Listen and learn: insights from 30 years in IC
July 24, 2019
Listen and learn: insights from 30 years in IC with Jason Etter - ep12 - The Internal Comms Podcast.
Episode 11 - Putting the soul back into Patisserie Valerie
June 25, 2019
Putting the soul back into Patisserie Valerie with Paolo Peretti - ep11 - The Internal Comms Podcast.
Episode 10 - Internal comms at the sharp end - recorded at IoIC live
May 21, 2019
Internal comms at the sharp end - recorded at IoIC live with Martin Fitzpatrick and Matt Batten - ep10 - The Internal Comms Podcast.
Episode 09 - How to win colleagues and influence people
May 7, 2019
How to win colleagues and influence people with Harry Hugo - ep9 - The Internal Comms Podcast.
Episode 08 - The Joy of Work
April 23, 2019
The Joy of Work with Bruce Daisley - ep8 - The Internal Comms Podcast.
Episode 07 - What social purpose (really) means
April 9, 2019
What social purpose (really) means with Mark Davies - ep7 - The Internal Comms Podcast.
Episode 06 – The craft of communication
March 27, 2019
The craft of communication with Henry Normal - ep6 - The Internal Comms Podcast.
Episode 05 – Learning comms lessons from PR
March 13, 2019
Learning comms lessons from PR, featuring Stephen Waddington - ep5 - The Internal Comms Podcast.
Episode 04 – What it means to be the voice of IC
February 27, 2019
What it means to be the voice of IC, featuring Jennifer Sproul - ep4 - The Internal Comms Podcast.
Episode 03 – What the State of the Sector report means for IC
February 13, 2019
What the State of the Sector report means for IC, featuring Jenni Field - ep3 - The Internal Comms Podcast.
Episode 02 – What it takes to be an IC leader
January 30, 2019
What it takes to be an IC leader, featuring Russell Grossman – ep2 – The Internal Comms Podcast.
Episode 01 - How to thrive in IC
January 16, 2019
How to thrive in IC, featuring Rachel Miller – ep1 – The Internal Comms Podcast.