The Internal Comms Podcast
Episode 02 – What it takes to be an IC leader
Even if you’re only vaguely familiar with internal communications, Katie’s guest in episode two will no doubt be a name you recognise.
In a career spanning 30 years, Russell Grossman has worked as head of internal communications at the BBC, director of communications at Royal Mail and is currently director for communications at the Office of Rail and Road and head of profession for internal communications practice right across UK Government.
Katie and Russell met in early December and discussed how IC pros can improve their chance of having a successful career in communications, the importance of bringing remote workers together, and the International Association of Business Communicators, Engage for Success and Chartered Institute of Public Relations, which he’s been actively involved in.
Thanks for listening!
- Russell’s dream job, and falling into a career [2:20]
- ‘I can see the result of what I’m doing relatively quickly. That’s more of a case in IC’ [4:12]
- What it means to be ‘head of profession’ for IC across UK government [5:12]
- Working with others to boost IC’s influence and capability, and being regarded as an equal profession [7:05]
- The differences between working in the public and private sectors [9:30]
- ‘A whole that truly is greater than the sum of its parts’. The benefits of sharing in the public sector [10:45]
- ‘Be yourself’ – advice for new recruits [11:36]
- Objectives, audience, strategy, implementation and scoring – or Oasis – the Government Communication Service guide to campaign planning [13:25]
- ‘Internal communications has moved from a dark corner where it produced posters to a separate corner but one in the boardroom where it is advising leaders’ [16:50]
- ‘The distinction between remote workers and office workers is blurring’ [21:02]
- ‘Everything is a learning opportunity.’ Learning lessons when things go wrong [24:16]
- ‘For those who have organised away days, you know it is actually quite difficult for them to go wrong. But when they do go wrong, they go spectacularly wrong’ [27:05]
- Being resilient and recognising your limits [27:53]
- ‘You need to be in and visible, not invisible. Your audience is out there.’ [30:08]
- The next big challenge for internal communications [30:40]
Links from this episode
- OASIS, the Government Communication Service guide to campaign planning https://gcs.civilservice.gov.uk/guidance/campaigns/guide-to-campaign-planning-2/
- Follow Russell on twitter at @russellgrossman
- Visit Engage for Success
- Find out more about the International Association of Business Communicators
- And the Chartered Institute of Public Relations
Episode 12 – Listen and learn: insights from 30 years in IC
July 24, 2019
Listen and learn: insights from 30 years in IC with Jason Etter - ep12 - The Internal Comms Podcast.
Episode 11 - Putting the soul back into Patisserie Valerie
June 25, 2019
Putting the soul back into Patisserie Valerie with Paolo Peretti - ep11 - The Internal Comms Podcast.
Episode 10 - Internal comms at the sharp end - recorded at IoIC live
May 21, 2019
Internal comms at the sharp end - recorded at IoIC live with Martin Fitzpatrick and Matt Batten - ep10 - The Internal Comms Podcast.
Episode 09 - How to win colleagues and influence people
May 7, 2019
How to win colleagues and influence people with Harry Hugo - ep9 - The Internal Comms Podcast.
Episode 08 - The Joy of Work
April 23, 2019
The Joy of Work with Bruce Daisley - ep8 - The Internal Comms Podcast.
Episode 07 - What social purpose (really) means
April 9, 2019
What social purpose (really) means with Mark Davies - ep7 - The Internal Comms Podcast.
Episode 06 – The craft of communication
March 27, 2019
The craft of communication with Henry Normal - ep6 - The Internal Comms Podcast.
Episode 05 – Learning comms lessons from PR
March 13, 2019
Learning comms lessons from PR, featuring Stephen Waddington - ep5 - The Internal Comms Podcast.
Episode 04 – What it means to be the voice of IC
February 27, 2019
What it means to be the voice of IC, featuring Jennifer Sproul - ep4 - The Internal Comms Podcast.
Episode 03 – What the State of the Sector report means for IC
February 13, 2019
What the State of the Sector report means for IC, featuring Jenni Field - ep3 - The Internal Comms Podcast.
Episode 02 – What it takes to be an IC leader
January 30, 2019
What it takes to be an IC leader, featuring Russell Grossman – ep2 – The Internal Comms Podcast.
Episode 01 - How to thrive in IC
January 16, 2019
How to thrive in IC, featuring Rachel Miller – ep1 – The Internal Comms Podcast.